Flight Diary Stats

My Flightdiary.net profile

5 April 2014

Italy 2014 – Day 7 / Modena

Not the best day.

I don’t want to go as far to say it was a BAD day, but let’s say I was not in love with this day. We went to the Ferrari Museum; it was just OK. If it had been here in Verona I might have a better opinion of it, but to me it was just not worth all the travelling.

As you know, I strive to stay within a 2 hour travel perimeter for day trips. To get to the Ferrari Museum in Maranello, you have to take a bus from Modena. Modena is about 2 hours by train from Verona, and the bus to Maranello is about 30 minutes – not bad, we figured it would be a good 2-city day.

Not.

There is nothing to see and do in Modena. One nice square and the church, that’s pretty much it. It’s not very touristy.

IMG_5222

IMG_5218

When we arrived at the bus station to take the Bus to Maranello, it JUST left! We watched it pull out of the station just as it we were crossing the street and it was an hour wait until the next one.  The bus terminal (not near the train station) is on the eastern edge of the city, so we walked back to the old town, took a few pictures of the church and headed back to take the next bus. That was at noon – already half the day gone and nothing that great to show for it.

The bus dropped us off in front of the Ferrari Restaurant. I think you need a secret code to get in. We were IGNORED. It it because we look like tourists? Guidebook and camera in hand? I guess they don’t want to serve the kind of people that are likely to take pictures of their food.

IMG_5230

Meh whatever. We ended up at a great mom & pop place down the road where a Caprese Salad, 2 pizzas and a bottle of wine only cost us 40€.  It was delicious!!

IMG_0418 IMG_0422

The Museum, like I said, was just OK – but keep in mind that I am not an aficionado.  Perhaps people ‘in the know’ will tell you that it’s great; I feel like I’ve seen it all before through a mix of Formula One Races, Formula One Weekend displays in Montreal and various museum exhibitions. Perhaps it was good because it’s all so many in one place? Meh whatever, I didn’t care enough.

IMG_5256 IMG_5243 IMG_5249 IMG_5253

I have to say however that this message in the entrance did make me sad:

IMG_0425 

After lunch and the museum visit, we caught the 4PM bus back to Modena, took a walk through the city hoping to find a nice café for a drink – no luck – ended up on the 6:15PM train back to Verona (not direct, we had to transfer in Mantova) getting us back just before 8:30. Too late to go to the square and have a night cap, but too early to call it a night. I felt like the day was so incomplete with no Aperol Spritz breaks!!!

We ended up having a light meal at the hotel restaurant – nothing great, but better than nothing.

Come to think of it, that phrase captures the whole day!

No comments:

Post a Comment