Flight Diary Stats

My Flightdiary.net profile

5 April 2013

London 2013 - Day 7

The last full day! I feel melancholic about it. London is great, so much more we could do!

We started off the morning by going to Canary Wharf: the Manhattan of London. It took forever to get there because there was a "person under the train" so our line was down all morning. We tried to take a bus part of the way instead, but 3 went by without stopping because they were too full!!

We got there eventually, took a few pictures, had breakfast then turned around; it was just too cold to linger.

We made it to HMS Belfast, but it was a half ass visit because again, the cold wind mean it was too difficult to stand on the deck and hold an audioguide in your hands!! So, we stuck to the inside parts.

We had lunch nearby and my husband went downhill fast, he plummeted into a full sweaty shaky cold, so he went back to the hotel to sleep which meant I had the afternoon and evening to myself.

I was tempted to go to Mme Tussaud's, but a little ashamed or embarrassed too! It's such a "touristy" thing to do... yet, I am a tourist after all no?

I decided I had to EARN it and do something more cultural first, so I went to the British Library to see the Magna Carta, Guttenburg Bible, Handel's Music Sheets, and Da Vinci's notes etc first -THEN I took the bus over to Mme T's. The line ups were so long I just skipped it - I'm secretly relieved!

So what to do? Too early for supper... I decided on The London Eye, what the Hell!! (I say that because I rode it already in 2005). When I got there, the line up looked DAYS long! When I asked a guard just how long, she told me 25 to 30 minutes!! HOW??? This was extra incentive to do it. Just to see how this could possibly not take hours!

I'm stunned by how quick it went! Less than 10 mins in line to buy the ticket, and you would NEVER believe that if you saw the line!

Waiting in line was ok, the wind died down and the sun came out - I took this as a sign. The line never stopped moving and she was right!! It only took 30 minutes!! Unbelievable. I'm glad I did it again, it was fun.

It was 4 o'clock by the time I was done, too early to eat right away, so I decided to walk to the Indian Resto I spotted in soho for diner. A last walk through of London.

No idea what I ate for my appetiser because I told the waiter I'm a wimp and don't like spicy food. I showed him what I thought I might like on the menu, and he told me I'd find it too spicy. Ok fine, I went with his suggestion instead - no problem! He did not steer me wrong, it was DELICIOUS!
Same thing for the main course, I wanted some Spinach & Lamb dish but he told me I'd prefer the Lamb Korma. DID I EVER!!! So good! The sauce was so delicious, I ordered a second naan bread to have more!! (and I noticed the next two tables ordered Lamb Korma too. Either we are all wimps, or it's a local favourite... I think I was the only tourist).

So that's it, vacation over. If my husband is up for it we'll go see the Peter Pan Statue in Hyde Park tomorrow morning, but he was so sick today I think all he'll want to do tomorrow is "go home".








2 comments:

  1. Trips like these always seem to go so fast, don't they? Even now, my 12 days in NZ seem like a blur. Sorry to hear your husband took ill (again!) but glad that you are so practiced at going out on your own without him and making the best of it. The silver lining is that once you are home, you get to focus on the next trip, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started reading your posts, interesting recount of your journey!

      And yes, the vacation-vibe is not over! Germany is right around the corner :)

      Delete