Flight Diary Stats

My Flightdiary.net profile

4 April 2013

London 2013 - Day 6

This was a pretty miserable day weather wise: it SNOWED!!!

Our trip to Highgate Cemetery ended up taking all day, so we didn't do anything else. By the time we got to Highgate Station, it was about 9:45AM and we hadn't yet had any breakfast! It took us a lot of time to find Highgate Village, and when we finally got to the cemetery, we were told we had to book an appointment in advance! ARGH.

Because of the lousy weather, we were lucky and 2 spots were still left on the 1:45PM tour. My guide book touted this cemetery as "over the top Victorian Splendour" so we decided to do it. We noticed a nice French restaurant in the village so we though we'd lounge around there for a few hours then take the tour.

The lunch was worth it, the tour was not. I think we are just spoiled by Père La Chaise in Paris and Monumentale in Milan... by comparison this one was pretty ordinary.

While we were having lunch, we noticed looking out on the terrace that a few flurries were falling!!! By the time we were half way done with the tour, it felt like a blizzard. Big heavy flakes that accumulate on everything!! My feet were freezing, I wish I had my winter boots!!

We got back to Central London by about 3:30 and my husband was not well, all this cold weather is taking its toll, despite the fact he brought his heavy arctic parka.

We wanted comfort food and an early night so we went out for Italian and were back at the hotel by 7PM. (It was the first bad meal I had all week! We went to a chain we knew from our trip to Scotland. We had a great lunch at the outlet in Inverness, this one in Leister Square sucked big time!)

Last full day tomorrow. If he's in shape we'll go to the Docklands in the morning, then try again for the HMS Belfast and Indian Food for lunch. If I'm on my own, I'll do something indoorsy like a museum or something... we'll see!






2 comments:

  1. I can't believe it snowed in London in April! That's a travel memory in itself. Sorry the weather hasn't been great, but you always make the best of it.

    Randy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That day was the coldest April Day on record!!

      Delete