Flight Diary Stats

My Flightdiary.net profile

13 October 2013

Italy 2013 – Day 8 / Naples

Oh my God…  I am EXHAUSTED!  Naples has completely drained me.

It’s TOTAL CHAOS! I don’t necessarily mean that in a negative way, it’s just the best word I can find to describe the city. It’s loud, fast, noisy, busy, bustling, pulsing…  Vespas RACING down little roads ready to run you over if you make a false move. There is graffiti on EVERYTHING, nothing is sacred: buildings, signs, Churches, statues... There is garbage everywhere; and I don’t just mean litter like cigarette butts and bottle caps – I saw vacuum cleaners and mattresses… and lots of dog shit.

This all makes Naples sound awful, but somehow it’s not – you just have to know what to expect so you can find a way to love it. My guidebook sais: take time to look behind the grime and you’ll learn why true love was never meant to be easy.

We hit the ground running after checking into the hotel – which is excellently situated I must say!  We kept walking by it when we were looking for it today, and even when we decided to call it a night we missed it again. It’s behind an innocuous door on the street at opens up into a huge courtyard and the hotel is one floor up. It’s not much from the outside, but we like it.

Our room is almost in the lobby! I wonder how that will work out tonight? Here you can see what I mean – the bathroom sink & toilet are behind that couch!

IMG_3750

We didn’t really have a sightseeing plan for today, we just walked everywhere for about 5 –6 hours in all, not really playing attention to the locations, and not trying to check off all the sights in my guidebook, but just rather to soak up the atmosphere. Boy did we ever! We soaked it up so much that I am completely worn out!

IMG_3782

IMG_3803

IMG_3823

   IMG_3840

Naples is know for being the birthplace of Pizza, so we went to a pizzeria that is listed on all the “top 10” lists of pizzerias in Naples: Sorbillo. HUGE pizzas starting at 3.50€!! Amazing!  Plus it was full of locals which is always a good sign, but at those prices it’s hardly a mystery to see why! The wait was about 30 minutes to get a table, you give your name at the desk then wait around in the street outside for your name to be called. It was PACKED!

IMG_3832

It was a liquid super to me tonight after that HUGE and CHEAP lunch :) I could not eat another bite today even it I tried!

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment