Flight Diary Stats

My Flightdiary.net profile

13 October 2013

Italy 2013 – Day 3 / Rome & Ostia Antica

As predicted, another great day!

It was supposed to rain but didn’t (not while we were out and about anyway – now that we are back at the hotel, the thunder is pretty bad) so that was a nice turn of events! Although, it would have been nicer to have known FOR SURE so that we could have skipped lugging the umbrellas and jackets around all day!! LOL

We started the day with an excursion to Ostia Antica; Rome’s Pompeii. It was nice, glad I did it, a nice way to kill a few hours but I think I am done with Roman (and Greek) ruins for life. I hit my quota.

We were thankful for the overcast-its-almost-gonna-rain-but-didn't-rain weather, because there was a wind in the air that kept the temps down. Would have been murder without the cloud cover because it’s all wide open spaces with ZERO shade.

IMG_3296   IMG_3289 IMG_3292

After that, we spend a little time walking around the grassy basin that once was the Circus Maximus, then crossed the Tiber to have lunch in Travestere.  Good meal, shitty service and therefore too pricy for the overall experience…  but it did feel good to take a load off! (I had a Caprese salad and eggplant parmesan)

IMG_3330

Much to our surprise, it was around 3PM when we got out of there! We spent the next few hours exploring Travestere but skipped the inside of the Basilica di Santa Maria; been there done that.

IMG_3335

After that, we just wandered aimlessly around town, hung out briefly in Saint Peter’s Square but since it’s on the agenda for tomorrow we didn’t linger.  We eventually decided to see if we could get a table with a view in Pizza Navona and sit, have a drink and watch the world go by. Luck was on our side, it was about 6PM when arrived and we got an excellent table at one of the many cafés and kicked into full chillax-mode. It was so ideal, we decided to stay and have supper there too; after our huge lunch we just had enough room for a small plate of pasta – not a bite more! (I had Tagliatelli with mushrooms)

This picture makes me laugh because it looks like the guy at the table behind me and I are sitting together! ha!

IMG_3358

On the way home, we stopped at Piazza Della Repubblica to get some night shots:

IMG_3362

And we also got a shot of the controversial JP2 statue outside Termini Station.  I don’t really see what all the fuss is about; I like it!

IMG_3371

As far as my Laptop goes, blogging with it is not bad, but the picture organizing is not going as smoothly as I thought. It’s all so small and I find I am quite useless without a mouse!! Not convinced that this was worth the investment, but I have it now so I will keep practicing!!

That’s it for today, Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment