Flight Diary Stats

My Flightdiary.net profile

13 October 2013

Italy 2013 – Day 6 / Rome

We did a lot of walking and sitting today!

Like on Monday, we took the bus from the hotel for just a few stops and got off when the surroundings got interesting.  This time it was around Piazza Della Repubblica.

IMG_3528

Shortly after we stopped for breakfast; a REAL one, not just dessert – which is what Italian breakfasts tend to be. I just had a croissant, but my husband went all out with bacon and eggs.

From there we walked aimlessly and eventually to see the Bocca della Verita, one of Rome’s many curiosities.

IMG_3551

Then it onwards to Trastevere again, where we had our second stop: drinks in the Piazza facing the Basilica… so relaxing!

IMG_3562

IMG_3565

IMG_3564

Sufficiently hydrated, we walked part way up Gianicolo to see the Tempietto: A temple built by Bramante on the spot where St Peter was crucified. Frankly, I am not sure if we saw it because nothing extra special caught my eye and we were getting a little hot so our willingness to search was waning. I will have to compare my pictures to what I find on Google.

Nice views of Rome from up there though!

IMG_3567

We finally stopped for lunch around 1:30 and I think we left around 3 with not a lot of energy left! It was getting hot so we were looking for a shady route to get to our next destination: the Basilica of San Giovanni in Laterano. Because we did not take a direct route, we ended up far from it so we gave up and bussed it!

IMG_3619

We also visited the Scala Santa but did not punish our knees! (Hard to get good shots while still respecting the Believers!)

IMG_3616

Still feeling hot and sluggish, we took the metro back and ended up at a café facing the Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore for super. I was still so full from lunch, that all I had was water and an Aperol Spritz – my husband had a salad.

As we sat and relaxed, we realized we had supper at the same place during our previous visit in 2006. Go figure.

IMG_3624

Now it’s time to recharge and prepare for tomorrow. Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment