Flight Diary Stats

My Flightdiary.net profile

28 April 2015

London 2015 – Day 3

We started off the day by picking up our friends at their hotel, and visiting the Cabinet War Rooms and Churchill Museum.

Very interesting exhibits, but you could spend DAYS in the Museum; it’s so packed with information that it’s overwhelming. We spend about an hour an a half, which was a bit of a compromise because Mr Chicago could have spend double, even triple, the time in there at the expense of the rest of the day.  He said he plans to come back one day on a trip with his son and they will plan a full day for this activity.

IMG_7821

IMG_7810

IMG_7818

IMG_7815 

After this he wanted to go to the British Museum, but I suggested we put that off to tomorrow since it’s supposed to rain and take advantage of the nice weather to do outdoor things instead. (My husband and I are not interested in revisiting that museum anyway; we have our own plans for when they go.)

He agreed, and we spend almost all day outdoors.

We strolled through St James Park, then down The Mall to Buckingham Palace – too late to see the changing of the guard (fine by me, I find that boring as Hell!!) but we heard the band from a distance and saw them coming back.

IMG_7832

IMG_7834 

Then of course, we had to brag about Canada Gate!

IMG_7836 

From there, we kept walking to Hyde Park Corner where we got on the tube heading west to Tower Bridge.

We had lunch in a nearby pub, then they inquired about tickets to the Tower of London (another activity my husband and I will pass on re-doing). Not sure when they plan to go.

IMG_7855

IMG_7854

IMG_7875

After that we crossed the Tower Bridge to get to our ultimate destination: The Shard.

IMG_7865

In 2013 there were no bars or restos up there, and I did not want to pay the money just to see the view. Now that there is something to do up there, we went for a drink and relaxed while admiring the scene.  The best tables for this activity were the tables for 2 around the edge of the floor, and they were all taken. Still, we had a nice time and it felt good to rest our feet!

IMG_7884

IMG_7880

Here I am showing Mr Chicago where we were on the map:

IMG_7883

The plan after this was supposed to be St Paul’s.  We took the tube over, but it was closed by the time we got there so we just got some pictures of the facade and walked back down Fleet Street and The Strand to Trafalgar Square.

IMG_7889

IMG_7894

IMG_7898

IMG_7911

Supper was casual Italian, followed by a night cap at the Sherlock Holmes pub:

IMG_7915

We parted ways around 9:45 and got ‘home’ just after 10:30.  Now it’s midnight, so I have to hit the sack!

Good night!

1 comment:

  1. You guys are having way too much fun while LouFish suffers in silence.
    I hope you're feeling a bit guilty for leaving me in my hour of need.
    Woe is me...
    ...but seriously folks, glad you guys are enjoying yourselves.
    Say hello to Kate for me.

    ReplyDelete