Flight Diary Stats

My Flightdiary.net profile

8 April 2015

France 2015 – Day 3 / Grenoble

Today we went to Grenoble.

It was nice, but I can’t really say I’d recommend it as a day-trip city because there is not a whole heck of a lot to do!

We arrived around 9:30 and were less than impressed – EVERYTHING was closed! We stopped for a coffee and chance to warm up a little (mornings are freezing cold, temps close to 2, 3C but warm up to 17, 18C in the afternoon) and by the time we were done with that the city had come to life a little more and it became more enjoyable.

We explored the old town, and then made our way up to the “Fort de la Bastille”, the only really interesting thing to do.

The téléphérique was a little scary, just 4 bubbles carrying you over the highway and the river…

 IMG_7224

IMG_7236

IMG_7225

But the views up there are worth the effort, especially since we had such clear skies! Beautiful view of the French Alps

IMG_7235

even a glimpse of Mont Blanc!  That’s it there, faintly visible in the “V” of the mountain ranges.

IMG_7240 

After this, we set off on a mission for lunch. There is a VERY small window of time in the year when I actually like being outside in the sun, and today was one of those days…  unfortunately, we didn’t find anything temping with outdoor tables so we just settled on pizza. It was very good, despite the mess in front!

IMG_7251

We headed back to Lyon right after lunch – not enough to do to keep us in Grenoble. The train was late so we got back around 4, and so we just wandered the city and soaked up more of the same sights we saw over the last two days; it was nice.

IMG_7253

We also found a section of town that was full of bars and cafés… we walked by it previously but everything was closed then so we didn’t realize what a lively section of town it was. We had some drinks and the headed back to the area around our hotel for a “light” supper.  I have to stipulate that light = small in volume, not calories : I had a cheese plate and foie gras. DELICIOUS!

I took a few pictures to upload and that bring me to another problem I am having: my Instragram pictures are suddenly not appearing on my Facebook wall!!  WTF! I see the little images on the Instragram section of my page, but nothing on the wall… why??  So annoying! Something happened after lunch… I can’t figure out what!

We solved our problem about where to go for a third day-trip. Yesterday I mentioned Clermont-Ferrand but although it’s close on the map, it was something like 3 hours by train! forget it. On a whim, we checked Paris and that was 300€!!!  double forget it!  We eventually found a place that was acceptable both distance and price wise and we’re going tomorrow, pushing the trip to Dijon to Friday.

I won’t tell you where, you’ll just have to tune in to Facebook about 12 hours from now and see where we are!

Bye for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment