Flight Diary Stats

My Flightdiary.net profile

7 April 2015

France 2015 – Day 2 / Lyon

We got off to such a late start this morning!!

We woke up a little before 9, and by the time we were fed showed and dressed it was 10AM! I don’t mind so much because we needed the sleep, but that’s it now – no more burning daylight, the alarm is set for tomorrow morning.

We had a great day, the weather was nice again, beautiful blue skies for taking pictures. It was very nice in the sun (we even sat outside for a drink) but still freezing in the shade.

IMG_7193

We started the day with a visit to the Basilique Notre Dame de Fourvière high up on the hill. It’s visible from all over the city.

IMG_7155

We took the funicular up, visited the church and the ruins of old Roman Amphitheatres, admired the panoramic views over the city and walked back down. They say that on a clear day, you can see Mont Blanc from up there… despite the clear blue skies, the far horizon was still hazy so we could not pick it out.

IMG_7183

IMG_7175

Later when we compared pictures of the interior of the Basilica, I was shocked to discover that my husband had not taken any pictures of the beautiful mosaics on the walls!!!  WTF!!  seriously, men and woman see the word COMPLETLY DIFFERENTLY!!  I took a few with my IPhone, but you’ll have to wait to see those. (if you’re friends with me on Facebook, then you saw the best one already).

Still, he got a nice shot of the altar…

IMG_7164

And I told him to take this one of a ceiling mosaic…

IMG_7169

After this excursion and our pit stop for an outside drink, we headed off to a typical French Brasserie for lunch. Again, if you are friends with me on Facebook, you’ve already seen pictures of my meal…  it was great but kicked my ass! In all honesty I only ate half my steak and barely any fries.  I did however stuff my face with the cheese for dessert. St Marcelin…  if you are familiar with that cheese, then you know how that’s not as easy as it sounds!!!  It was excellent!

IMG_7205

IMG_7204

We were done by about 4PM which meant it was going to be only meal of the day. We spent the rest of the day just wandering around and soaking in the city, finally deciding to call it a day shortly before 8PM.

Now, it’s just a little after 9:30 so it’s time to shower and crash.  We hit the road tomorrow for either Grenoble of Dijon, we have not decided which one we’ll see tomorrow and which one to do on Thursday.  We’ll see how we fell when we get up!

Good night!

2 comments:

  1. "We got off to such a late start this morning!!"
    I might not be there in person but it sounds like I'm there in spirit.
    Be honest...isn't it more fun being a traveller than a tourist.

    Hope you guys are having a good time.
    Say Ola to Pompi-dou for me!
    Miss youse :--- (

    Loufish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We saw the Grand Café you told us about... can't wait to try! Would be fun with you here :)

      Pompi-dou is asleep, so I will pass the message on tomorrow!

      Delete