Flight Diary Stats

My Flightdiary.net profile

17 September 2014

Switzerland 2014 – Day 6 / Kleine Scheidegg, Wengen, Interlaken

CHEESE COUNT: fondue 3 / raclette 1

Another great day, with cooperating weather!

Today the plan was to hike from Kleine Scheidegg down to Lauterbrunnen.

IMG_1215

The elevation change from top to bottom is over 1200m so the path takes you through alpine vistas, mountain scenery, forests, meadows, fields etc - something for every mood!

Unlike the time posted on the sign, it took us 2 hours and 30 minutes just to reach Wengen due to all the picture stops!

IMG_6272

IMG_6270

IMG_6291

IMG_6299

IMG_6332

IMG_6329

IMG_6330

This particular cow made us laugh because she looked so angry! And she was blocking the latch on the electrified fence (just a cable) that we had to go through. We were too chicken to go near her and didn’t want to antagonize her so we just crawled under the fence instead. ha! I took this picture after we were ‘safely’ on the other side.

IMG_1228

We stopped for lunch in Wengen and had what else? fondue!

IMG_1239

Then it was back on the trail again. It was only supposed to take an hour to get to Lauterbrunnen from there, but we more than doubled that time since our bellies were so full of fat! It turned into more of a stroll than a hike at that point.

Don’t be fooled by how scenic this appears!

IMG_1253

Most of the trail was downhill, and steep!

I have to admit that it was not really very physically demanding overall, sure walking downhill uses more muscle and I was fine with that…  it’s just that my feet were being shoved into the front of my shoes, putting a lot pressure on my toes and after a few hours of that I was looking forward to the end. We both agreed that we could have lasted much much longer if the end of the trail had been flat. The last hour was all steep switchbacks and my toes are not happy! But aside from that one thing, it was amazing. A fantastically scenic day.

After the hike we relaxed and had a drink in a cafe in Lauterbrunnen, then back to Interlaken by about 5:30.

I wanted to go back up to the Harder Kulm (a nearby mountain top – not that high, only about 1300m) because when I was last in Interlaken in 2011 they were building a look-out deck up there and now you can see it from everywhere in Interlaken. I was intrigued to see it for myself, so up we went.

It’s neat… and great views over the city too!

IMG_6381 IMG_6366

After that, it was off to find a place for supper and then back “home” to crash.  I am so thankful with the weather over the last few days, I really hope it holds out!!

1 comment:

  1. Hate it when your toes shoes against the front of the shoes! You need an exact sort of shoe that doesn't let your foot slip.

    ReplyDelete