Flight Diary Stats

My Flightdiary.net profile

23 September 2014

Switzerland 2014 – Day 12 / St Moritz

CHEESE COUNT: fondue 5 / raclette 1

BIG lesson learned today: save your money and forget about the Glacier Express!!

It was not bad, but not worth the extra money and more time to get to our final destination. We travelled from Andermatt to Samedan, which is 10 minutes before Saint Moritz. Trust me: take a normal train, it’s just as good….  if not better! Why? well, another lesson I learned today was to be careful what you wish for because you just might get it!

For months I was praying for blue skies, and I got them! Not a single cloud!!! therefore, the train is like a greenhouse!!!!!!!!!!!!!  OMG it was so hotttttttttt!  There was air-conditioning, but it did not help.

I also think the killer-views are at the other end of the Glacier Express route, near Zermatt.  (And I have travelled that route FOUR times on a normal train and never ever felt like I was missing out).

Conclusion: Glacier Express = fail. It’s a tourist trap.

 IMG_1529

IMG_6791

IMG_1532

 

p.s.: That meat plate + cheese plate was 44 CHF! AND the cheese was melting on the plate because the sun was beating down on it so strongly! I am half tempted to count it as a raclette in my cheese count!

We knew we’d arrive in St Moritz late in the afternoon after dropping our bags off at the hotel (which by the way is the BEST one so far) so we had little other plans than finding a place to have fondue.

WHO KNEW that St Moritz is full of Italian restaurants??? We could not find ANY Swiss places! My guidebook is a little outdated (2006) but did recommend a good fondue place. Not knowing if it still existed, we searched and searched for it – no luck. I went into a hotel near the area it should have been to ask about it and it turns out it moved to another location “across the street” from the train station. Off we went to search and search and search around there. Nothing!

I finally asked at the train station ticket window and it turns out the guy knew the place. It was behind the train station!! so, after about an hour, we finally got our fondue fix!

IMG_1553

The weather is freezing cold, under 10°C – not that I would mind ordinarily but we were not dressed appropriately.  I just hope it doesn’t lead to more colds; my husband has been fighting off the sniffles all week!

No comments:

Post a Comment