Flight Diary Stats

My Flightdiary.net profile

19 September 2012

Scotland 2012 - Day 6 / Edinburgh

That's it for Edinburg!!!.... or is it?

We drive onwards tomorrow, but we do have an 2 extra days at the end of the tour so we may come back on Friday; it's about 45 minutes by train from Glasgow. We'll decide on Thursday after having spent a full free / on our own / no tour day in Glasgow in which city we want to spend our last full day.

We had most of the day to ourselves today which was nice. I like tours for the little cities, but for the big cities they just slow me down! In big cities, tours are great for getting you into sights faster, I'll grant them that, but we always have a better time overall without the tour in a major city.

We hit many key sites today: Castle, Royal Mile, Parliament Building, Palace of Holyrood, Climbing the Scott Monument (which is RIGHT across the street from our hotel), and then in the afternoon we rejoined the tour for an excursion to visit the Royal Yacht Britannia, which I've been psyched about for months.

It did not disappoint. It was exactly what I expected. Just about every one expected glitz, but I never did. I never once thought that they lived glamorously behind the scenes, that's not realistic. In fact, if the boat was over the top luxurious a-la-Trump, I would have been surprised.

Perhaps being such a Royalphile, I've already been 'exposed' (via about a zillion miscellaneous documentaries and TV specials) to the way the Royal really live, so it did not skew my expectations?

I loved the sun deck, set-up with the Queen Mum's favourite drinks in the bar. So cute! I could EASILY spend the day there!!

The Queen & Prince Philip each have their own bedroom!! With single beds!! I was surprised by that, but then learned there also was a master bedroom. Still, even if I was sleeping alone, I'd want more than a single bed!

You'll have to wait for me to update the Picasa album to see the pictures,
I did not take many iPod pictures because it was too much of a pain since I had my hands full with the audioguide. But here's one of the Sitting Room to tie you over.

No comments:

Post a Comment