Flight Diary Stats

My Flightdiary.net profile

29 September 2012

Italy 2012 - Day 1 / Torino part 2

I was a little lazy on the day I posted this, and just enumerated a bunch of things that I wanted to talk about at the time but was just too tired to do it.
So here are the fleshed out details, but I have to admit that you will have found the wait anti-climactic. Time has dulled the importance and interest-value of these events:
• My broken Travel Watch
I have an old watch that wear on vacation because I won’t be devastated if I lose it. I noticed on the previous vacation that it was ticking once every 5 seconds instead of 1 tick per second – the warning sign that the battery is dying.
Did I remember this before this vacation? NO. On the way to the airport I just slapped it on and left the house and it wasn’t until I checked the time a few hours later that I noticed it was completely dead.
There was nowhere in the airport where I could get the battery changed, so I had to buy a new watch. Did you know the cheapest Swatch is 55$!!! I found a cheap-o watch in a souvenir shop and I have to say I really like it! and it was only 29.99! I just have to get the strap shortened as it falls half way down my arm! LOL

Emporio Gastronomico 2 - Simone & Barolo
 

Emporio Gastronomico Again - Simone 2
 
• Lazy Air Canada check-in process
Essentially, the guy was an ass. He was too busy chatting with his colleague than he was focusing on HIS JOB! What especially bothered us was (if you are a frequent traveller you will know what I mean) that he didn’t peel the little sticker off the luggage tag that actually gets stuck on to the bag. In case for whatever reason the luggage tag rips off, the little bar code sticker ON the suitcase will make the bag traceable. When we asked him about it (to do it) – he kind of laughed and said: ok, if you want…  jerk.

• Missing connection signs in Rome
This was a first for us! We’ve been to over 50 airports, and NEVER EVER have we missed a sign. But we did in Rome! We saw one sign for flight connections and the next thing we knew, we were in the line for passport control. In and of itself, it’s not unusual because we expected to clear customs in Rome. But after that, we ended up in baggage claim! WTF! when we asked someone where we had to go for flight connections, they told us we missed it! WHERE!!!  We STILL can’t figure out how that happened.
We had to go passed baggage claim, out the exit, then up to departures and back in though security again to get to our gate. Next time I am in Rome (presumably October 2013) I will make a point of trying to see where we went wrong. It does not make sense.

• Pulling on seats... And my hair!!
Why do people have to PULL down on the chair in front of them when they stand up? I just don't get it. I know the seats are cramped, but don’t you push up on the armrest instead of pulling on the seat? The guy behind me not only pulled on the seat, but on my HAIR! Honestly. I don’t understand.

• Barolo wine splurge
You know I was looking forward to having some Barolo Wine while in Torino. Barolo is said to be the King of Reds…  sign me up!
So on day one, we went out for diner and did just that. It was expensive!!!  70€!!!! But we said it was a treat, we waited long enough and we were there to splurge! and so we did!

L'infernot 4 - Barolo
It was great, but too expensive to do again! For future diners, if we ordered Barolo we stayed under 30/40€ and it was just as good!
• 7PM diner
On day one we arrived at our hotel around 4PM. We were so tired, all we wanted to do is have diner and crash… but we learned that nothing opens ANYWHERE before 7PM! We were so tired, but stuck it out and it was so worth it! (same night as above)

L'infernot 1
L'infernot 7 - by night

• I should have known!! Pesto & Genovese
Again, during this same meal, when reading the menu I saw “Trofie Genovese”. You know I love Trofie Al Pesto, but what is Genovese sauce? I asked the waiter and was embarrassed when he told me it was Pesto sauce! DUH! LOL Genoa is the home of pesto! I should have known; in hindsight it was obvious.
In this restaurant, they served it with string beans and potatoes…

L'infernot 5 - Menu 

L'infernot 6 - Trofie al Pesto
My husband does not care for it this way, but I like it. Admittedly, the plainer version is better, but this is not bad.

So there you have it!  Day One explained Smile

No comments:

Post a Comment