Flight Diary Stats

My Flightdiary.net profile

19 April 2022

Paris 2022 - Day 7 / Maintenon

 As my vacation went on, I had no will to work on my blog nightly. 

I completed the entries after I got home.

Steps today: 25 465 / 14.48km

We started off the day with an excursion to Maintenon to see the Aqueduct and the Chateau.  I went on my own back in 2017 and I was looking forward to "showing it to Frank". I knew he would be impressed with the Aqueduct.

Right out of the train station (if you take the right path) you can see the crumbling ruins in the trees, and follow it along to the restored (or just not yet crumbling) sections.





The castle grounds are beautiful; we didn't visit the inside because I already saw it and Frank wasn't too keen on it. So, we wandered the grounds for about a half hour.





Then, lunch in the mini-micro village. It was a good meal, but the service was slow and it was stressing us out because we didn't want to miss the train back to Paris. We did ask before we sat down if we could be out by 12:30 and they said yes, but we ate too fast. Too bad.





We got back to Paris by about 2PM, here is the map for the day, I couldn't fix all the gaps on right... it's close enough!


First, we took a stroll through the Tuileries Garden






Then, I needed help to digest the lunch I shoveled down, so we found a café and took a load off.



Frank was beginning to fade by then, but he stuck it out a little longer so we went to visit the Palais Royale. He remembered a shop with old medals in the windows that intrigued him on a previous visit so that motivated him to keep going.



Next on the list was the Moliere statue, but it was all covered up for reno so all I got to see were a few toes through a peekaboo window.

Frank decided it was time to tap out, but might meet up with me later after a rest, so I walked him to the metro and set off to take more pictures. I was impressed with the Place Edouard VII, a shoe-horn dead end with an equestrian statue of the King. 


Next, I passed by the Opera house and fumed at the advertising that marred the beautiful façade.

Then, some aimless wandering...





By 5ish, I stopped for a sandwich and a glass of wine around Les Halles - saving some stomach space in case Frank felt like eating later. We agreed to touch base around 6:30.

After this, I set off again on my photo-adventures. At one point, I tripped over a grate on the street that was uneven, and crashed on the sidewalk. No broken bones, phones or glasses...  but a bruised knee and elbow. Frank and I joked that this was the universe trying to slow me down to even us out!







Frank was feeling refreshed by then, so we met at a café around the corner from the hotel for a few drinks...  Bring on the Kir aux Pêches!



It was another super day!




No comments:

Post a Comment