Flight Diary Stats

My Flightdiary.net profile

19 June 2016

British Columbia 2016 – Day 6 / Vancouver

Walked 20.51 km / 31 028 steps

This was our last full day in Vancouver and we started it after breakfast at the hotel by walking the seawall around Stanley Park again, but in the opposite direction than our walk on Day 1 (including the Brockton Point Lighthouse that we skipped last time) then Coal Harbour again, and eventually lunch in Gastown.

image

I wanted to get a better picture of Siwash Rock, but it was hard!! There was always something wrong with the shot or the lighting!!  Still, not that bad in the end.

IMG_4628  IMG_4632

In Coal Harbour, we found a beautiful place to stop for a coffee called ‘6 Degrees Eatery’… it was so lovely in fact, that my husband had a second breakfast!!

I wish I had more pictures of the place, how lovely are these dishes!!!

Coffee at 6 Degrees Eatery 2  Coffee at 6 Degrees Eatery 7

Honestly, I am beyond perplexed that I didn’t take more pictures of the Coal Harbour area given just how much I loved it!!

We were in for a treat this morning, the Olympic Cauldron was lit for a special event – apparently this is a rare occurrence!

IMG_4647

IMG_4648

We kept on towards Gastown – and lunch!

Lunch at Chill Winston 2

My burger wasn’t bad, the wine was not good …

Lunch at Chill Winston 11    Lunch at Chill Winston 9

What impressed me the most about this place was the décor and their “Glass Chandeliers”.  Literally, chandeliers made from wine glasses and bottles! So cool!

Lunch at Chill Winston 5Lunch at Chill Winston 4Lunch at Chill Winston 6

 

 

 

 

Lunch at Chill Winston 8

After lunch, we had a rather sobering experience – a short walk through the Downtown Eastside. It was really sad. People shooting up, puking on the streets, I don’t think I saw one person walking in a straight line…. the most unbelievable examples of poverty and homelessness I have ever seen EVER. Needless to say I didn’t take any pictures, I just wanted to leave. It was tragic.

You don’t need a map to tell you on what side of Main Street you are in Vancouver! Why were we there? Because the Police Museum was nearby…  it turned out to be closed.

From there, we went to visit the Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Garden; it was alright but the surrounding construction sort of ruined the atmosphere. I was underwhelmed.

image

IMG_9028

Cocktail hour was fast approaching, and one vacation tradition in which I like to indulge is to have a fancy drink at a fancy hotel bar so off we went to the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver to have drinks at their Bar: Notch 8.

Drinks at the Fairmount - Notch8 7

Drinks at the Fairmount - Notch8 6    Drinks at the Fairmount - Notch8 5

It was great! so relaxy and loungy…  ahhhhh… I treated myself to two! These are: “Lavender Corpse Reviver” & “Bubbles & Berries”.

My husband was dead tired by now and needed a rest before we would head out again for dinner; we walked the 30 minutes back to our hotel where he promptly fell asleep, and I was left to my own devices for about 2 hours.

I wanted to soak up as much of English Bay as possible on this final day. Will I ever return to Vancouver? Who knows! I hope so, but just in case it’s later than sooner I wanted to spend as much time as I could outdoors.

I walked along Sunset Beach for a while… 

IMG_4674

… this is as close as your feet can get to the water when you're not willing to remove your sneakers!!

IMG_4672

Then I decided a glass of champagne was in order to toast a great vacation! (yes, back at Cactus Club Café so I broke the no repeat rule!)  but doesn’t this look like a good occasion?

Champagne at Cactus Club Cafe

Dinner that night (Our Farewell to Vancouver Meal) was just down the street from our hotel. We had walked by it several times and remarked on how pretty the terrace was and how it would be nice to eat out there. Of course on the day we went it was drizzly and we couldn’t eat outside, but it was a delicious meal.

image

Dinner at Adesso 1

Dinner at Adesso 3   Dinner at Adesso 4

Vancouver was just terrific, we had a fantastic time!!! We’d recommend it as a great vacation destination to any one and we hope to be back soon!

 IMG_8750

and now…  onwards to Victoria!

No comments:

Post a Comment