Flight Diary Stats

My Flightdiary.net profile

13 October 2024

Austria & Germany 2024 - Day 7 / Nuremberg

Steps today: 22 025 / 14.51 km

Today was a day trip we didn't expect to make. The original plan was Ingolstadt which would have been a new city for us, but the weather forecast was rain all day.  We briefly considered Munich (already done 3-4 times) but the weather there was crappy too so we settled on Nuremberg because it was the driest.

This was my 3rd and Frank's 2nd time (2002 & 2008) visiting Nuremberg; I figured a 16-year gap was good enough for a repeat where it might feel like something new... and it turns out we did see quite a lot of new things so it was a success.

It wasn't a completely dry day, we needed the umbrellas at times, but not very much and only for short intervals.

We started with a walk up to the castle which we didn't visit last time - no idea why! The uphill hike got the blood pumping, but as usual it was worth the exertion.



I wanted to be sure to revisit the Ehekarussell. A fountain depicting "Bitter Sweet Married Life" it's memorable and always good for a laugh!




Next was lunch and we flip flopped a lot, trying to make up our minds...  until I spotted a place with Käsespätzle on the menu. Bingo! It was good, but so So SOOOO cheesy - more than I am used to! it was so rich I could not finish it. 

 
Hated the wine "cup"!

After lunch, another new part of town we hadn't seen before was the Weißgergasse area.



Then, time for refreshments-with-a-view where I could indulge in my new favourite cocktail: Wild Berry Lillet Spritz

More new things to see: The Henkersteg area and nearby bridges crossing the Pegnitz River



 

Walking along the city walls



Visiting the St Lorenz and St Elisabeth Churches




And then: where to have supper? We didn't want a repeat of last night's supper debacle! So far on this trip I haven't yet had my favourite Weisswurst so I googled where to find it and it led me to this place.  Hard to find and I almost gave up, but Frank was persistent and I am glad he was because look how cute this place is!  



Guess what: turns out there is no Weisswurst on the menu!!  GRRR  but the ginormo sausage I ordered instead was delicious. It was HUGE! I should have put a fork in the image for scale.

After supper it was back on the train to Regensburg. Packing up tonight - onwards to another homebase tomorrow.



No comments:

Post a Comment