Flight Diary Stats

My Flightdiary.net profile

14 October 2024

Austria & Germany 2024 - Day 11 / Dresden

Steps today: 18 864 / 12.42 km

Not sure why today was a lower step day than usual. We went on a day trip to Dresden and it wasn't that far away so it's not like we lost a lot of time on the train.... ah well.

Back in 2013 we spent 3 days in Dresden and it left an impact on Frank so he was particularly exited to return. It was a nice as he remembered, but smaller.






This time there was a lot of construction in the Zwinger (a Baroque Garden) and that disappointed me.  I had to be creative with cropping.







We stopped for a drink because the weather was so nice, but I couldn't get my phone to focus on my glass - it kept switching to background. I would have needed 3 hands to get it right.


I liked this statue particularly because it perfectly represented all of our outdoor eating and drinking over the entire trip in every city we visited!  Wasps. All the time, annoying and persistent!!!!!


There is a sort of half-moat around the Zwinger, and the water in it looked like mustard! Yuck!


Walking along the Elbe River was much nicer!




For lunch, lucky me again, I found Weißwurst! And after the tiny ones I had yesterday, I ordered a double portion this time: 4 sausages.  deeeee-lish! (and the weren't tiny like yesterday, they were the usual size)



After lunch, we admired the Frauenkirche.  This church is what put Dresden on my radar over 10 years ago. It was destroyed in World War II, and was left as a pile of rubble until 1994 when reconstruction began and was only completed in 2005! Imagine that - a half century! The dark sections are the only parts that were left standing, and the dark stones were stones pulled for the rubble and reused in the reconstruction. It gives the church an interesting polka dotted look.


The weather was nice, so we stopped for a drink again.  My wine wasn't really good, and the wide angle image looks kinda weird...  but I still loved it all!


After this, we took a stroll through the Botanical Gardens for about 45 minutes...





 ...then headed back to Leipzig for supper...  which wasn't good!




Wild Berry Lillet Spritz for dessert!  That made up for the blah meal a little.


The restaurant was only a few steps away from the hotel, so when we were done we just rolled "home" and into bed.


No comments:

Post a Comment