Flight Diary Stats

My Flightdiary.net profile

3 May 2024

Italy 2024 - Day 14 / Rome

Steps today: 28 988 / 19.11 km

Our last full day in Rome since we have a day trip planned for tomorrow.

We started with the Temple of Minerva


Then the Porta Maggiore along the Roman Wall




Then onwards to the Basilica San Giovanni in Laterano which is one of my favourite churches in Rome. 

On the way, a quick zip to the Scala Santa across the street.

The piazza in front of the church is undergoing some works, so the grand view of the facade is obstructed, but I have pictures and memories from previous visits so it's all good.

I love this church, and not just because it's free with no line ups like St Peter's but because it's so magnificent! My head is always on a swivel here - so much eye candy.

Façade:


This pope seems to be admonishing me!!!

Cavernous interior full of treasures!

Amazing ceiling

Stunning Sculptures

A few mosaics for lovers like me!

Neck craning details




Even the floors are beautiful!



It was Aperol Spritz O'clock by the time we were done, and I wanted drinks with a view of the Colosseum so off we went!



You know how I feel about ruins and "rocks on the floor" but when sprinkled with flowers it's very pretty! These wild poppies were everywhere.


This is supposed to be the oldest shopping center in the world. Meh.

We walked by the Victor Emmanuel Monument , locally referred to as the Wedding Cake or Typewriter, but we didn't linger because there is so much construction all around.

Worn fountain of Madama Lucrezia

Galleria Sciarra


Finally time for lunch! We risked it an ate outside, but next to the wall and under the umbrellas - it was fine. No rain, and I don't recall being cold. ... ... ... and of course: prosciutto AGAIN




After lunch, we went back to the Trevi fountain. When we went yesterday it was to visit the nearby church Santi Vincenzo e Anastasio to see the Papal Hearts but there was a service going on so we didn't have the chance. There are supposed to be 22 hearts in marble urns but I didn't see a thing, perhaps I missed it all because it was right in front of my face.

The steps of the church are a great vantage point for seeing the fountain, yet not getting crushed to death in the mosh pit


After this, it was off to explore the Coppedè Quarter / Piazza Moncio which has been on my list for a few trips now, but we never made it because it's not that close, and there is nothing else in the area to see.  From the Trevi fountain, it was about a 45 minute walk - fine for us since we are walkers, but I can appreciate that it might feel far for some people.







Afterwards, we walked though the Villa Borghese Park, it was really lovely!





And by about 3:30 it was time to stop for an Aperol Spritz...  what a charming little place in the park we found! We had to fight off some VERY hungry birds, and that became a nuisance. It must happen more than usual here in the park, the waiters had special purpose-built flags on a stick to shoo them away.  Watching the never ending battle was funny.  Those birds were NOT afraid of people.




From the park, you normally have nice views down over Piazza Popolo - but this stupid tennis court marred the views! GRRR



Next on the agenda was the Church of San Silvestro in Capite to see the head of John the Baptist.

I could not see it in there.... smoke and mirrors?  I feel like the shadows make it look like a face, I think I see a nose and lips (which make so sense on a mummy) and is that a cheekbone? I'll never know.





It was after 5 now, so that means supper mode. On the way to the church we passed by a place that made Napolitana pizzas - my favourite kind!   It was excellent!


We ended the day back in Piazza Popolo - at Rosati again. No knowing what our plans would be for the next night (the last night of our vacation) I wanted to get in a 'nice' farewell to Rome evening.

It was very pleasant, even though I spent a small fortune on two of the smallest limoncellos I have ever had in my life!!






No comments:

Post a Comment