Flight Diary Stats

My Flightdiary.net profile

2 May 2024

Italy 2024 - Day 12 / Rome

Steps today: 23 854 / 15.72 km

We stayed in town again today, no day trips.

We started our adventures at the pyramid of Caius Cestius to see the feral cat colony, but they were either all dead or just hiding from us this time. Either way I am glad I went because these pictures are better than the ones I took on a previous visit.




Nearby Porta San Paolo


From here, we walked along parts of the Old Roman Wall




Stopped for a coffee-boost where I spotted this beautiful facade on a church across the street.


And then we made our way over to the Tiber for a walk along the river...  sort of. The river is further below and kind of a sketchy place to walk, the pedestrian and bike tracks at street level are much more pleasant.


We walked along for quite a distance and eventually turned in to head towards Campo de' Fiori. It's one of my least favourite squares to be honest, but it's still a great place for an Aperol Spritz! 




Just as we were getting ready to leave, we were held hostage by a hail storm!

I should have put something next to this ice pellet to give an idea of scale... but it wasn't that big.

Next, another attempt to visit the church of Sant'Agnese in Agone in Piazza Navona. I can't believe how many times I kept meaning to go and for whatever reason missed it.  Well, not again! I was determined 2024 would be it.  Wow, it was worth the wait; the sculptures were amazing.







Looks so evil!

Lunch was at Mimi e Coco, a place we discovered 3 vacations ago and keep revisiting. In all honesty I am not really that sure why. It's good, but not better or worse than anywhere else.





A lazy walk after this.... This building sure is interesting!



By about a quarter to 3, we were near the top of the Spanish Steps, and we stopped for a drink.


Next on the agenda was Santa Maria della Vittoria so I could get a better view of Bernini's sculpture.

On the way, this calendar caught my eye and made me laugh. "Hot Priest for 2025". It can't be real, they must just be models.  It's all very Thornbirds, I should have looked more closely at the pictures to see if Ralph de Bricassart was included! LOLOLOL

Orange Trees!


And finally: the Ecstasy of Santa Teresa. Not in love with it. I don't like the way the robes look starched.

Next, the fountain of Moses



After this, we made our way to the Basilica di Santa Maria Degli Angeli e dei Martiri (that's a mouthful) to see the Meridian Line.


A quick zip passed what I call the JP2 phone booth


And onwards to the Basilisa di Santa Prassede to see the mosaics. I love them, they are my favourite and this place takes the cake! Eye-popping, jaw-dropping gorgeous.








Next, being 5:30, as you know that means time to think about supper. We aimed ourselves towards the Colosseum and let inspiration lead the way.

I have walked by and photographed this arch a zillion times, and I can never remember what it's called! Don't bother trying to help me, the information is not going to stick.



Supper was a total fail. The place was ok but I was still full from lunch; I was more caught up in the idea of a nice meal but my stamina could not match.  Ah well, can't win 'em all!



 

It was time to end the day after this, the sun was setting on the Colosseum, and on us!



No comments:

Post a Comment