Flight Diary Stats

My Flightdiary.net profile

2 May 2024

Italy 2024 - Day 11 / Rome

Steps today: 28 674 / 18.88 km

Another day with no day trips planned. As much as I love them and want to do them, it's nice to have a rest from time to time.

We started our day at St Peter's Square with the long-shot hope of going in this time...  but no, even at 8AM the lineups are nuts. We've visited before, even on the 1-year anniversary of JP2's death and we never had waits like this!  If ever we want to visit again, we'll just have to bite the bullet and buy an advanced timed ticket but I hate doing that (what I call appointment sightseeing) because I prefer to be more flexible with my plans, but it's clear this is the only way now.



Random images from our walk:


Next was Sant'Andrea della Valle which I mixed up with Santa Maria della Vittoria. Valle blew me away last time, but Vittoria is the church that houses Bernini's Ecstasy of Santa Teresa which I didn't get a good look at last time.  I mistakenly thought Teresa was in Valle, but I wasn't disappointed because the church blew me away again! breathtaking! 




We strolled around some more afterward - the well worn Fountain of the Porter looks downright ghoulish!

It was getting close to Aperol Spritz O'clock, so we walked over to the Colosseum, sat down for a drink, and made a new friend.


Once refreshed, we made it over to the Colosseum. I have no interest in touring the inside again, I've done it twice - I'm set for life. Besides, the crowds made me not want to linger. Get a load of the hoards heading to the Arco Tito!  I hope they're enjoying themselves...  I'm OUT!

For some inexplicable reason, there weren't as many hoards around the Constantine Arch. Fine by me!


We walked lazily around Colosseum and watched some of the new excavations being done by archeologists...




Then decided it was time for lunch.

We went to what's known in the family as "the singing waiter restaurant" nearby because 2 members of the family have independently eaten here and had the same experience with an exuberant waiter. He wasn't there.

The weather was getting cold and windy and drizzly, but we ate outside anyway because they had heat lamps and plastic drapes... it barely helped but was overall tolerable.




After lunch, we walked through the Circus Maximus - really nothing to see...

Admired the Arch of Janus

Then finally over to Santa Maria in Cosmedin to see the skull of St Valentine.  Most tourists flock there to get a picture of their hands in the mouth of the Bocca della Verità, but we've been there done that.

Next on the agenda was heading over to Trastevere, but we barely made it across the street before the rain started, so we U-turned back into the church to wait it out. It was about 30 minutes, not even.

On the way Trastevere, we saw the Cloaca Maxima - one of the world's oldest sewers. Impressive! I wish now I had taken a picture from across the river to see it in context.  I'll have to remember for the next trip to Rome.


In the Piazza Santa Maria, we stopped for a drink....



Then continued on our path. First was the Church of San Pietro Montorio which is supposed to be the spot where St Peter was crucified. We didn't go in...  stupid! another item for the Next Time List.

Next was the Garibaldino Mausoleum

And the Fontana dell'Acqua Paola which was covered for repair the last time we were here. It was great to see it all fixed up!

We kept wandering towards the look out on Janiculum Hill, on the way there is a forest of busts! it was neat! So much detail!


I tried to get a shot of a whole row of them, didn't turn out so badly!


Giuseppe Garibaldi Monument

We spent time at the lookout admiring Rome, and met another Canadian couple who insisted they could see the Colosseum. I can't, neither could Frank.  Can you?



After this, we made our way back to Saint Peter's and stopped for a drink nearby. A Bellini for me this time - believe it or not, I was not in the mood for a spritz!


It was about 5:30 by now, and for us that means thinking about supper plans. I forget why now, but I remember we stopped off at the hotel (probably to pee and leave the umbrellas behind) and have dinner somewhere nearby.

The wind had picked up by now, and it was getting uncomfortable to be outside. Yesterday on the way back from Popolo, we spotted an area that looked like they had a lot of cafés, but when we went to investigate, it turned out to be a Starbucks and Taco joint.  Hard no.

We started getting a bit hangry by then, and we felt like we were walking in circles for ages with no decent place to eat! How could it be??? but then like a mirage, Frank spotted a big PIZZERIA sign and we felt saved!

It was great, and best of all WARM. They sat us in a corner which I think they thought was a good place to shove tourists and keep them out of the way, but we were very comfortable.

You may have noticed how addicted I was to prosciutto on this trip - but it was all so extra extra delicious!!! I don't know what they feed their livestock compared to ours but I could tell there was a difference.  This one was aged 24 months and was the best I have ever had. Sliced so thin, it almost melted in my mouth. Outstanding!




It was probably around 8 when we finished, which was late for us, but our room was a quick 6 minutes away.

Yet another fantastic vacation day to add to the pile.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment