Flight Diary Stats

My Flightdiary.net profile

12 October 2022

Netherlands & Belgium 2022 - Day 5 / Gouda

Steps today : 23 394 / 15.11km

It was off to Gouda today, a very small town so we didn't plan to stay for a full day.

My heart sank when we got to the main square and discovered there was a fun fair in town which totally ruined (for me) my pictures. I'm sure the locals and the kiddies have a lot to enjoy, but I want a picture of the buildings, not the pink elephant ride!


Ah well, that's life.



It was drizzly again, but never enough to get out the umbrellas; we were ok with just our hoods. Still, it felt cold so we found a nice heated outdoor café, sat next to a fireplace and I had a boozy coffee.




Warmed up after that, we wandered around town





Visited Sint Janskerk which is known for it's magnificent stained glass windows








More wandering, the drizzle pretty much lifted by then - we also made a new friend...






We stopped for lunch back in the main square (nothing special, again) and there was so much screaming from the fun fair I wear it sounded like someone was being murdered!





One last wander around after lunch, but we decided not to stay for our afternoon tipple, and headed back toward the train station.







We missed the train back by seconds! The doors closed in our faces! Thankfully the next train was only a 30 minute wait.  .... there it goes without us! ....



Back in Amsterdam, I wanted to just walk along the canals and soak in the city. 






Frank spotted a perfect spot to have a drink by the water, it was great!





Get a load of this funny table, LOL Ah, Amsterdam!


We ended up in Leidesplein supper, lots of choices. Frank didn't like the area, he felt like it was a dirty square - I didn't see what he saw, I liked it! Except I do have admit that because off all the huge patio umbrellas the cigarette smoke does not dissipate and that aspect is not pleasant.





On our way back to the ferry, I realized I forgot my umbrella. We were not even 10 minutes away, I should have gone back for it, but I was too lazy. I said "screw it, I'll just buy a new one as a souvenir whenever I need one" and we kept walking.

Love the look of the sun on the buildings at this time of day!



This level of crowding on the ferry was our usual, although in the morning it's way more bikes.



Today's maps:

Gouda


Amsterdam:





No comments:

Post a Comment