Flight Diary Stats

My Flightdiary.net profile

11 October 2022

Netherlands & Belgium 2022 - Day 3 / Rotterdam

Steps today : 25 837 / 16.75km

We started day-tripping on this day, and kicked it off with Rotterdam. 

I included it in our itinerary because I visited in 2018 and liked it a lot; I though Frank would enjoy it too.... Nope! I guessed wrong - he did NOT.

I can't say I loved it as much as the first time when every thing was new and it was a day of discoveries, a third visit is really not necessary, but I enjoyed the day more than he did that's for sure. He says he HATED it.

The modern architecture of the train station is impressive.


Here's my picture from 2018, you see how I am having fun with the wide angle this time! In this case however I must admit that I prefer the older one.




We saw the statue of "The Giant of Rotterdam" a real man who grew to an astounding 7' 6"! Get a load of the size of those feet! Amazingly, he was only the second tallest Dutchman ever. (so far!)




Other dots on my map included this Naughty Santa. That's supposed to be pine tree he is holding but we can all agree that is a FAIL. Thanks to his controversial accessory, he is now referred to as the "Butt Plug Gnome" ha!




Other sites included a funky lamppost and Fikkie, a dog statue adopted as the city pet. They even put blankets on him in the winter!




My ultimate reason for putting Rotterdam on our list was to visit the Market Hall. I was so impressed with it last time, and so disappointed by my pictures, that I became obsessed with the idea of taking new (better) pictures with my new phone-cam.  As with most over-anticipated things, reality falls short and I was left with the feeling that it was "just" really neat.  

Those are condos in the arch by the way, what a view out one's kitchen window!









Next, another sight I thought would impress Frank (but didn't) are the Cube Houses. 
Those are actual occupied living quarters, although it seems they are not that popular because furnishing them is a pain and there are always tourists milling about.






After this, I wanted to walk along the Waterfront, but there was ZERO shade and it was getting too hot for us in the sun, so instead, we retraced our steps and headed back towards the area of the market and found an Italian place to eat.






We went for a walk in the park after this, towards the Euromast Tower.  




I really wanted to have a drink up there and admire the view. 
I skipped it last time because of the line-ups. This time: no line ups, but also no availabilities in the restaurant so we just went up to enjoy the view. First to the outside observation platforms about 115 meters up, then rode the panoramic spinning lift to 185m. Seeing our shadow was the neatest part.







Onwards to the "old town" of Delfshaven...  which is a misnomer...  it's not a old town, it's 2 streets. Not even. Why did I remember it so differently? We took a few shots...




 ... adorable window cat!....



...but the best part was my gin and tonic. Delicious and so beautiful! It was worth the detour.




By about 4:15, we started making our way back to the train station with the intention of going back to Amsterdam and having supper there. Along the way, Frank realized he had inadvertently thrown out his return train ticket when he threw away all the tickets for the Euromast admission! Whoops! we had a good laugh about it; I said that's the kind of mistake one only makes once! It became a running gag for the rest of the trip. (Cost 17€ for a one-way ticket back)

When we got closer to the station, we knocked off the remaining 2 dots on my map.  First, a BMW driving through the walls of a building. In hindsight, I wish I have taken a different angle:




Second, the modern Delftse Gate, rebuilt as an orange skeleton to symbolize how Rotterdam is constantly under construction.





At this point, we decide to stay in Rotterdam for supper since it was already 5:30 and we found a very nice outdoor patio near the station.





It was straight to bed when we got back!

Today's Maps (I couldn't get it all on one!):




No comments:

Post a Comment