Flight Diary Stats

My Flightdiary.net profile

14 October 2019

Italy 2019 - Day 10 / Lucca

Steps today: 21 171

Today we did what we tried to do yesterday: visit Lucca. It was great! It’s about 90 minutes away by slow train, a beautiful walled city that is perfect for a day trip from Florence.


We hit all the major sights – about a zillion churches, some nice piazzas, a lot of aimless wandering, a garden stroll and a little walk around the city walls.

Duomo di San Martino:









We lit a candle again at Chiesa di San Giusto:


Stopped for a drink:


Went to see the mummy of Saint Zita in Chiesa di San Michele in Foro:




We swung by Torre Guinigi and debated climbing it (we actually never got around to it)


Piazza dell'Anfiteatro:


More mummy sightings at Basilica di San Frediano







And then began our lunch trek. I saw on my map that there was a German restaurant just outside the city walls. We were looking forward to sausage and other German Food Treats, but when we arrived we saw it only opened at 7:30PM. ARGH! what a waste of time... why didn't we look up the hours on line when I saw it on the map!! Too excited.


So, back we went to the Piazza dell'Anfiteatro - a long 45-minute zig-zaggy walk because we kept making wrong turns.  Hunger and navigation don't mix!




After lunch, it was off to explore the Palazzo Pfanner and Gardens. The Palace which dates back to 1667 held an interesting and eclectic mix of exhibits






The gardens, although small, were very pretty. I especially like the lemon trees.





Next, we strolled along the city walls, beautiful!








We had though to do the entire perimeter, but after 20 minutes we felt we got a good idea of what it was all about and wandered in the city instead.





Last stop: time for one more drink before heading back!



We headed back to Florence on the 5:30 train which is late for us on day trips, we usually tap out by 3 to 4PM but the nice weather (and by that I mean: not melty-temps) made wandering and exploring much easier for us.

Lunch and it kicked my ass! So much so that by the time we got back to Florence (around 7PM) I had little to no appetite for supper. Still, the lure of a nice evening out with perfect temps led us back to yet another café in the Piazza Repubblica where I had some prosciutto with melon; just enough. I have been ordering it almost every day because I can’t get over how PERFECT the cantaloupes are! Usually when I buy them at the grocery store at home, it’s hit and miss…  NEVER as fresh and juicy and sweet and succulent as I have experienced on this trip! It’s blowing my mind.




My cold is almost gone, thank God. I caught a really bad one about a month ago that pulled me down for weeks, thankfully this was a mere blip and not a repeat. Still, I will Nyquil myself into oblivion tonight.

Good night!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment