Flight Diary Stats

My Flightdiary.net profile

16 April 2018

Netherlands 2018 – Day 1 / Haarlem

Steps today: 20 603

Pretty good ‘score’ for Day One! I am very pleased we hit the 20K mark, considering the fatigue that usually follows an overseas flight! I did not sleep much, I think I got about three 30-minute power naps in. Good enough.

20180416_070713

It was a bumpy (for me) ride. We hit a bad patch of turbulence over the Gulf of St Lawrence, so scary (for me) I was clutching the arm rest so hard that I busted a small vein in my thumb! Hysterical now, after the fact with my feet firmly on the ground, but NOT funny at the time… I almost cried – I admit it – not because of thumb-pain, but because of the fear of plummeting to my death.

We got off to a late start, about 1:15 late because of the lousy weather in Montreal and the need to have the plane de-iced. I think the turbulence-scare was extra bad because of the caked-in-ice scare I just left behind.  I am not a rational flyer.

20180416_002721

We made it to our hotel in Haarlem very easily (bus from the airport in Amsterdam) and arrived at 10:30 AM. Lucky for us, the room was ready so we could freshen up a bit and hit the town. The room is nice, BIG, sparse, clean, but the shower is just a spout in the wall in the far corner of the bathroom. No closed off shower, no tub, no curtain, nothing. Should be interesting!!

IMG_3385

IMG_3386IMG_3387

We had a lovely day in Haarlem, blue skies, and the temps were not bad… one of those hot in the sun / cold in the shade days… with a lot of hard cold wind.

IMG_3389

IMG_3392

20180416_113925

IMG_3399

IMG_3412

We crossed almost all the sights off our list for Haarlem, except for the Old Town Square and Church because there is a fun fair going on right now so decent pictures are impossible. Pointless. I hope it does not last all week!

We decided to call it a day around 5:30. I’m feeling ok right now to be honest but I know I should force myself to get to bed early so I can be raring to go tomorrow.

Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment