Flight Diary Stats

My Flightdiary.net profile

13 October 2016

Paris 2016 – Day 7

Steps today: 23 876. Add another super-busy day to the list!

We started off with a GREAT breakfast. A fraction of the cost compared to yesterday’s ‘mishap’, incredibly delicious (the croissant was the best by far), and it came with a view of Notre Dame. It was a fantastic way to start the day.

IMG_0746

20161013_085103

20161013_085549

20161013_090120

Our first sight seeing adventure was the inside of Notre Dame. Pictures just can’t do it justice… and not just because I can’t find quite the correct setting on my camera, but because it’s SO HUGE and I don’t think a picture can convey that feeling. It was hard to get nice pictures because there was always sure a huge contrast between the light and the dark. A camera will just not capture what your eyes see naturally.

IMG_0751

20161013_092804

IMG_0771

IMG_0783

IMG_0757

IMG_0763

IMG_0760

Here is a perfect example: make it dark to see the details in the window or make it light to see the details on the organ?

IMG_0786

IMG_0789

After this the plan was to go to the Archeological Crypt, but it was closed for today. This means I probably won’t go at all because it’s part of the Museum Pass and we only have 1 day left on it. We have other items left on our list that we want to see more and if it means a detour tomorrow than forget it because I don’t care enough about it to pay to go on Saturday.

IMG_0801

The Louvre Museum was next on the list, but I got side tracked with more flower picture taking on the way!

IMG_0806

IMG_0807

IMG_0808

IMG_0809

We didn’t really have a solid plan for our visit to the Louvre aside from seeing the Mona Lisa – that was priority one.  My mother knew to expect that it would be small, but she was actually surprised to see that was bigger than she had imagined! Most people have the exact opposite reaction.

It was my third time seeing the painting, so I was more fascinated by the sea of people clambering for a view!

IMG_0831

IMG_0832

After that, we just wandered aimlessly soaking in the various items.

Highlights include the Winged Victory (and the flock of tourists drawn towards her)

IMG_0813

Venus de Milo:

IMG_0849

Crown Jewels:

IMG_0827

That famous painting of Napoleon crowning himself:

IMG_0835

And not to be overlooked: The Main Foyer!

IMG_0855

Our wander lasted about 2.5 hours and I think that’s enough – anymore than that museum fatigue strikes and you aren’t enjoying it anymore or really taking anything in.

Lunch today was at Le Train Bleu. My pictures come nowhere near communicating the incredible interiors, just peruse the website for the glamour shots!

IMG_0887

IMG_0885

IMG_0888

IMG_0884

I again had my litany of usual favourites. I’m a bit disgusted with myself for my lack or originality… I REALLY REALLY REALLY have to say to myself that enough is enough, the favourites have been indulged, now order something else for a change instead of foie gras, steak tartare and cheese!!! I think I can be forgiven for the tartare this time… they prepare it table-side and that added an extra flourish!

IMG_0876

IMG_0880

IMG_0882

We really needed to digest after this, so despite the rain we decided to walk to our next destination which was the Pantheon. Actually, you can’t even call it rain – it just drizzled for about 30 minutes and we didn’t even need the umbrellas. The hoods on our jackets were good enough.

On the way, we walked through the Jardins des Plantes and so you guessed it: more flower pictures!

IMG_0904

IMG_0915

IMG_0916

IMG_0917

IMG_0910

IMG_0906

The Paris Mosque:

IMG_0924

IMG_0922

And finally the Pantheon. It was nice to see it all clean and renovated! During my last 2 visits in 2012 and 2014 it was all covered up. I must say they did a good job! We would have climbed the Dome, but we got there about 15 minutes after that part closed. Ah well, next time!

IMG_0928

IMG_0931

IMG_0942

IMG_0945

IMG_0946

IMG_0949

Victor Hugo and Marie Currie are just two of the many notables in the crypt… but they are so well cleaned now that it’s hard to read the names! Thankfully the walls are still dirty.

IMG_0934

IMG_0935

IMG_0938

Like yesterday, we had no desire to eat supper since lunch did us in and so we went for a walk though St Germain and had a nightcap at Les Deux Magots. I’m cheating a little here, this is a picture of the place that I took on Sunday morning when it was sunny.

IMG_0194

Sauternes for me; it’s one if my favourites but surprisingly I have not seen it on that many menus. When I saw it here, I pounced!

20161013_182822

Still feeling the need to walk in order to digest the mountain of food consumed at lunch, we decided to walk home from there. It’s about a 45 minute walk back to the hotel… I would say it helped me digest about 2% of my meal.

2 more days to go! Can’t believe the end is in sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment