Flight Diary Stats

My Flightdiary.net profile

13 September 2016

London 2016 – Day 6

Steps today: 21 240

Room status: STILL INSANELY HOT! we keep saying we’re above the pizza ovens. This morning we asked at the front desk if there is anything we’re missing. Is there a secret switch somewhere?? The bathroom has a heated floor which is nice, but it seems to be stuck on high! It does not help!! We’ve worked out a routine: clothes down to the bare minimum that decency allows, windows open, fan on full blast, sleeping on the covers – I even sleep the other way around on my bed with my feet at the head in order to feel more of the fan. I also take a cold shower just before getting into (onto) bed, and in the morning I am out the door the second I am dressed.

Bug bites: They don’t hurt at all anymore. They are MUCH MUCH MUCH darker, like two lipstick dots – but I think they are healing. The larger one looks like a nipple! ha!

IMG_9652

It wasn’t really the bites that were hurting, it was the swelling and the vibrations up my legs from all the walking that made me feel like I had been kicked in the shins. We started the day with a trip to the pharmacy so I could get some advice from the pharmacist; she sold me this. I think it’s working very well – I would say the swelling is almost completely gone.

20160913_223141

Then instead of a walk through the park like we’ve done on most mornings, we headed north to Little Venice and had breakfast at a canal café.  We haven’t really been eating breakfast at all, neither one of us really feels like we need a meal first thing in the morning so we’ll have a yoghurt or croissant and a coffee-to-go, but this morning it was eggs!

IMG_9581

IMG_9577

20160913_101437

From there, we tubed it to the financial district to knock a few things off my list: Gherkin, Leaden Hall, Sky Garden and The Machine. Then I wanted to go to White Chapel to the Ten Bells Pub.

Gherkin:

IMG_9588

We didn’t make it to the pub because it we kept making wrong turns, if the weather had not been so hot I may have wanted to keep trying but it wasn’t fun anymore so we gave up on that one.

The Sky Garden (top floor of the Walkie-Talkie) was FANTASTIC! I loved it! These people do not mess around. You have to show your I.D. and go through airport-like security, and technically you’re supposed to book ahead because they have a crowd control system.  Luckily, we got in without an appointment.

IMG_9610

IMG_9592

It’s amazing up there! I felt like a kid, so excited with the views; this activity was a definite vacation-highlight for me. Vesna was a little more leery of the heights at first so she wasn’t as giddy as I was, but after she warmed up to the feeling she agreed that it was terrific.

IMG_9604

IMG_9609

IMG_9600

IMG_9594

There are a few restos up there, but we just relaxed with a drink – we were still full from breakfast. Vesna’s drink was so pretty! They even put flowers in it!

IMG_9608

After this, we took a few shots of The Machine; I asked if we could take pictures inside, the answer was no.

IMG_9612

We swung through Leadenhall Market:

IMG_9618

Then back on the Tube across town again to the Tate Britain Museum – Vesna wanted to see the Turner Collection.

IMG_9625

IMG_9626

IMG_9633

IMG_9635

IMG_9641

We then went to Westminster Cathedral which I remembered as being mind-blowing.  It still was. I could not stop taking pictures!! So gorgeous I couldn’t get enough! (These pictures don’t do them justice, they really need to be seen in person!)

IMG_9675

IMG_9661

IMG_9665

IMG_9670

IMG_9673

IMG_9658

IMG_9668

IMG_9671

This peacock is particularly impressive because it was in a round niche and the tail feathers looked 3-dimensional. You can’t quite see the effect in the picture, but it’s still stunning.

IMG_9659

Dinner was Café Rouge again, I really like this chain but since I have a no resto repeat rule we couldn’t go to the same one we went to on the weekend. This one was a little hard to find and it started feeling like a repeat of the trek from this morning looking for the Ten Bells Pub. Treks are really no fun when the weather is this hot!!!  Happily, we eventually found it and settled in for a feast!

20160913_173154

20160913_173444

20160913_173836

Have a look at this boutique I saw on the way home. Have you ever wondered where you can go to customize your personal jet?

20160913_201339

The weather tomorrow is supposed to be MARGINALLY cooler… pray for me! Smile

No comments:

Post a Comment