Flight Diary Stats

My Flightdiary.net profile

28 August 2015

Norway 2015 – Day 7 / Vemork & Oslo

Slow start / great finish! As I type this, I am enjoying a night-cappy-glow after (now that we are back in Oslo) my husband caved and agreed that we should go out for a drink after dinner.

Have you seen the 1965 movie “Heroes of Telemark” starring Kirk Douglas? If so, you’ll appreciate where we went for our first start today: The old power station in Vemork that is now the Norwegian Industrial Workers’ Museum.

I enjoyed the scenery, the optional walk from the car park across a 84m high suspension bridge over a gorge (also the location of the highest land-based bungee jump in Norway) and the trail up to the Museum more than the museum itself.  I felt like they rushed us through the entire thing, showed us a movie and kicked us out – but I suppose this is the kind of thing you have to endure when you are on a bus tour.

IMG_8456

IMG_8452

IMG_8460 

IMG_8461

The next stop was lunch next to the Heddal Stave Church which is one of the top sights in Norway. 

IMG_8468

IMG_8474

For lunch, we had elk burgers – I found the meat very tasty, but there was a raspberry-yoghurt-like sauce in it that I didn’t anticipate. My husband said the taste of the sauce negated the taste of the burger; I didn’t dislike it but I agree it was weird. (you can see pics of the burger on Facebook or Instagram)

After lunch, we headed off back to Oslo. We arrived later than I would have liked (just after 3PM) but it still gave us enough free time to knock one of the things I wanted to do off my list before meeting up with the group again for the next excursion: The Fortress.

IMG_8478

IMG_8477

When finished with that scenic stroll,  we stopped for drinks and some people-watching.

The optional excursion tonight was dinner with a panoramic drive.  The restaurant was up in the Holmenkollen area which gave us great views over Oslo, including a visit to the Olympic Ski Jump.

 IMG_8481 

IMG_8492

IMG_8505

I was very very very very hesitant about buying into this dinner excursion because:

  • Tour dinners are not that great
  • They feel rushed
  • It was expensive!!
  • The marketing of these things tend to oversell the positive

In the end – no regrets! It was a great night out!

We picked fish for dinner (the other option being pork) and it was trout.  EVERYONE at our table agreed it was not trout, but rather salmon.  Perhaps Norwegian Trout is salmony??? In any case, whatever it was, I thought it was delicious! It exceeded all my expectations. 

IMG_8499

After dinner, we had drinks on the terrace overlooking Oslo and a full moon!!  Fantastic!

IMG_8500

IMG_8504

Back at the hotel, just before 9PM, I think my husband read my mind before I even had to ask and he agreed that we should go out for a night cap. YEAHHH!!!!  We found a place with a heated terrace and a view of the Opera House in the distance…  the BEST way to end the day!

(for more pictures, again see Facebook or Instragram / or wait for Picasa).

Tomorrow is our last full day and the weather forecast is perfect!

1 comment:

  1. Trout are from the salmon family, so maybe it was a kind of trout you guys haven't had before that
    s even closer to salmon than what you're used to?

    ReplyDelete