Flight Diary Stats

My Flightdiary.net profile

18 June 2012

Niagara and Chicago 2012 - A Trip in Review - Day 3 & 4

We left Milton around 9AM and most of that day was spent on the road.  Knowing we had the entire day ahead of us free and open, we took our time and set the Cruise Control to a leisurely 100 KPH.

We crossed the boarder into the US at Sarnia / Port Hope around noon.  I find American border guards mean business; I have never EVER seen one crack a smile EVER! I find them intimidating – like drill sergeants. The one we had, adopted an almost accusatory tone with us. “So, what’s going on in Chicago?”  almost like it was a trick question as opposed to an inquiry on our intentions.

Canadian border guards on the other hand, have just as much credibility but in my experience are always nicer. Is it because the guards are stricter with foreigners entering their country and more human with residents coming home? I will have to ask my American friends about that.

For lunch, we stopped at Olive Garden in Port Huron. This surprises people I know, but I am even MORE surprised by how good it is! Seriously! Is it because my standards are low?  Now, I am not expecting a gourmet meal, but for what I consider to be “fast food Italian” I have to say I think it’s great!

This love-affair with olive Garden started on a rainy day in NYC when we plunked down at the Olive Garden in Time Square and had a loungy 2 hour + lunch and loved it! We still rave about it years later.  Stopping here for lunch this time was almost a test to see if it would match up to that experience…  and it did!!! 

I had one of their “Taste of Tuscany” Specials:

Olive Garden

Grilled Sausage tossed with sun-dried tomatoes, broccoli and orrecchiette pasta in garlic butter sauce with Fresh Spinach, Roasted Asparagus, and a glass of Robert Mondavi Cabernet….  It was delicious! However, as good as it was – it was still pasta and after a heavyish meal, if all you are going to do is get back in the car and drive, you are bound to feel a little sluggish in the afternoon – and I did.

We decided we would stop in Ann Arbor Michigan for the night, I heard it was a nice university town and figured it would be a decent place stay. I wanted to wander around and enjoy the city a little more in detail, but I was overruled by my husband’s fatigue so we explored by car instead. We drove around for a while and finally checked into a Comfort Inn in the outskirts near the Interstate.

I liked Ann Arbor a lot from the little I saw, and I would easily stop there again – especially because there were SO MANY NICE RESTOS!!!  We picked Café Felix, but sadly we were not that hungry after lunch at Olive Garden, so couldn't take full advantage – still, it was very nice (I am there sitting at the far right of the picture).

Café Felix


The next morning, Tuesday, we hit the road again onwards to South Bend Indiana to meet our friends [that we met on the cruise]. When they visited us in Montreal last fall, they told us that he makes THE BEST Osso Bucco around. Well, we could not just let that go! So when we made these plans to go with them to Chicago, we decided to spend a night at their place before heading out so we could judge for ourselves!!

We made it to South Bend very easily by lunch time and had a leisurely meal at The Emporium.

0. Emporium Restaurant - Larry Barb Simone Frank 1

We spent the rest of the afternoon relaxing on their back yard deck, having drinks, chatting, catching up…  it was lovely!

… and the Osso Bucco? It was great!! I also tried marrow for the first time, and it wasn’t bad… less gelatinous than I had anticipated and a very very concentrated flavour!

Osso Bucco

 

End of part 2

No comments:

Post a Comment