Flight Diary Stats

My Flightdiary.net profile

21 September 2011

Switzerland 2011 - Day 4 & 5

Cheese-Count so far:  2 fondues and 1 raclette.

We are eating so poorly (fat and cheese and wine and meat) that the other day when I ate the lettuce garnish leaf off our meat-plate I think all the cells in my body jumped for joy!

Having a wonderful time in Chamoix, its really a dream!

Getting here was a bit of a trek, from Martigny it was a train and 2 busses because there was construction on the rails and train traffic was halted. Not that bad if you know in advance and know what to expect, but its a surpirise to be greeted by a bus when you are expecting a train!!

The ride was fantastic mind you - it was a little cloudy but we eventually climbed beyond the clouds and it just looked like we were cruising in a valley that someone had stuffed with cotton balls - hope the pictures do it justice.

This is my tenth time in Switzerland, so I was not expecting much newness but I was wrong. Now, all the chalets on the countryside are equipped with sattelite dishes!!!!  They are painted brown and blend in with the wood - but there they are. The chalet culture is hip with modern times it seems! ha-ha

Our hotel is very nice, you may remember that we were upgraded to a new location because the original one was under renovation - we saw it and its true: no windows and crawling with tradesmen.  We were excited about the heated outdoor pool in the new place. On day one, we got in our suits and made our way outside in the cold air...  only to discover that the pool was a measly 28 degrees!!  thats not heated enough for us - so only our feet got wet.  What a waste!

I have no more time to tell you about our mountain excusions yesterday and today, my time is almost up - for now I will say that they were our of this word. 
Teaser: we were over 3800m up and I almost fainted twice because of the thin atmosphere!! 

More later, bye for now...

1 comment:

  1. Hard to believe you're Swiss on both sides, because with all this inability to stand cold pools, and fainting in thin air... you must have a strand of low-lying Mediterranean in you.

    ReplyDelete