Flight Diary Stats

My Flightdiary.net profile

4 June 2011

Copenhagen 2008

CopenhagenI suppose it’s not really accurate to say I have been to Denmark because really, we only spent time in one place. Copenhagen. (pictures)

Maybe if I’d visited even just one more city, I could claim to have “seen Denmark”

 

Planning for the trip, I studied the Google Earth Map a lot (like I do with any destination) and I loved the Eagle-Eye view of Copenhagen – isn't it nice? 

Copenhagen - zoom in

Look at the Citadel, and the scallopy canal near the bottom…  so neat!  I was excited to get exploring.

We stayed four full days, and it was enough. SO EXPENSIVE!  About 5$ to take the metro, 20$ for a glass of wine …. compared to other European Capitals, it was MUCH pricier. They say Moscow, London and Zurich are the priciest… well, I have seen all those places and I disagree. Copenhagen wins.

Accommodations were pricey too!!!  We ended up in what was essentially their version of the Red Light District and paid a ransom for a simple room with an AWFUL shower.

The metro was cool mind you! No driver! We sat right up front, it was such a weird sensation!! Check it out (starts moving about 12 seconds in):

What’s tops on the list when visiting Copenhagen? The Little Mermaid Statue of course! … Which was shockingly small. I was expecting something much bigger.

Little Mermaid 03

I love watching the tourists get their shots in. I should take more of these kinds of pictures, I find them funny!

Little Mermaid 02

Little Mermaid 04

Little Mermaid 05

Lots of beautiful things to see, but we were especially drawn to the Vor Frelsers Kirke, which we nick-named “The Cork Screw Church” because of it’s original tower that you can climb. How cool is this!

Vor Frelsers Kirke 04

Vor Frelsers Kirke 08

Sadly, it was closed for renovations when we were there – but there are plenty of You Tube Videos of the interesting climb, her is just one of many:

It’ll be the first place we head if ever we are back in Copenhagen one day! So would I go back? Yes, but it would surprise me. It’s not really on the way to anywhere, and I am not big on revising places when there are NEW places to visit near by!

I would recommend it as a destination, but 4 days is plenty.

No comments:

Post a Comment