Flight Diary Stats

My Flightdiary.net profile

23 January 2011

Brussels 2008 – The Long Hot Walk

Arriving in Brussels by train, one of the first things we spotted in the distance was the Atomium. We didn’t even need to consult each other, we both knew instantly that this would be on our list of things to do.

It’s interesting that I remember it this way, because you’d think that the Atomium would already be on the list of things to do?? no?? so maybe seeing it from the train like that just confirmed to us that we would definitely go, and not drop it from the list… I forget.

I am not sure who’s idea it was to walk to the Atomium from our hotel – probably mine, and how we ever found it was a miracle because the map my Lonely Planet guide was the WORST map possible to follow.

Well, then again, in all fairness, the map was of Greater Brussels and I don’t think the authors ever thought that anyone would ever actually WALK all the way! Providing an accurate map of an area so far removed from the city centre was probably never seen as a priority.

So why did we use it? Well, we’re stupid I guess!! We didn’t realise that this map was a simplified map that showed only the major roads (not even labelled with the street names) and closest metro stop. When I saw the map, instead of realising this fact, I thought: This is easy! look! only a few roads and we are bound to see it when we get close.

UUUUGGGHHH no. Didn’t quite work out that way.

We set out from our hotel around 8AM and started with a visit of the Basilique Nationale du Sacré Coeur on the way, hard not to stop when you see this in the distance! It was humongous.

Basilique Nationale du Sacré Coeur 3

Basilique Nationale du Sacré Coeur 4

It kept us well motivated too because from the viewing platform, we got a glimpse of the Atomium in the distance.

Basilique Nationale du Sacré Coeur - View of the Atomium 2

Why it didn’t hit us then that there were way more streets in reality then on the map? no idea.

The walk up until then was fine, but after visiting the Basilica, we got SO LOST! And it was SOOOO  HOT!

My husband and I have spent a lot of time studying maps of the area since then, seeing if we can determine just were we walked.

We know how we got to the Basilica, that part was easy (6km)

Part 1

But the 2nd half of the trek, from the Basilica to the Atomium is an educated guess. We are fairly certain we followed this path, but would not swear to it:

Part 2

That roughly another 5½km. I remember huffing and puffing up hill in the blazing sun, my husband sweating profusely, thankfully we found benches so we could stop and rest.  Eventually, I spotted a map at a bus stop. GREAT! except… where the Hell were we on the map??? No idea. No one around to ask. No glimpse of the Atomium in any direction.

We finally found it around lunch time. It emerged like a vision through the trees!

Atomium 3

Atomium 1

Atomium 18

Boy was I ever PISSED when I discovered there was no restaurant in the Atomium! Just a cafeteria! GRRR  after that journey, I was ready for table service and cloth napkins!

After our visit, we went next door to Mini Europe and had lunch there. It was crazy-disappointing!! So anti-climactic after that journey!

1 comment: