Flight Diary Stats

My Flightdiary.net profile

29 April 2024

Italy 2024 - Day 1 / Milan

Steps today: 15 047 / 9.92 km

And so, here we finally are! On the vacation that was postponed last year and was supposed to be our 20-year anniversary trip.

After all the trouble I had with my back spasms on our last trip, I was paranoid about a reoccurrence on this trip and so I had some physiotherapy appointments before leaving, and was recommended some sport's tape to help. Thankfully, I had no issues... well, nothing more than the occasional twinges I always have... so I can only conclude it worked.

I also resolved not to have a step goal on this trip - of course I kept track!! but I didn't aim for a certain number or take an extra walk around the block to get up to the next thousand before bed. Still, I was happy if I got over 20k and I did on non-travel days.

Day One started in Milan, our 5th visit but it's been a while since the last time (2003, 2008, 2010, 2012). 

Our hotel room was a short walk from the train station, but it wasn't ready when arrived around 2PM. Instead of dumping the bags and starting our day like we usually would, we decided to wait because we needed to change our clothes! It was over 25 degrees and jeans and jackets were just too much. Thankfully, the wait was only about 15-20 minutes.



It was a nice place, and frankly although it was "just" 2 weeks ago, I already don't remember it that much... that's a good thing!

Once we changed our clothes, step one was to head out to the Duomo and Galleria. More and more cities now have the credit card 'tap' option for public transportation - how terrific! so easy and hassle free...  what's taking my city so long to get on board?

The Duomo was beautiful, but the crowds instantly turned me off.  SOOO MANY PEEEEOOOPLE! was it because the weather was so summery? Or because it was the weekend? I don't know but I found it oppressing. We didn't visit the inside of the Duomo, we've done it a few times on previous trips, including a tour of the roof (which I recommend!) 


We headed straight to the Galleria with the idea of having a drink. I didn't take that many pictures because there were just too many people in the way -  but the ceiling was perfect! ha!


My drink was a flop! I'm a stemware snob, I like my Aperol Spritz in the large wine glass, not a low ball tumbler! BOOO...  I resolved I would have to have a do-over later.



We had no fixed plans for the rest of the day because we didn't know how the jet lag would impact us. We're normally pretty good on Day One and don't really suffer - but just in case we don't want to pack too much in. After drinks, it was off to find a place for an early supper.

We found a pizzeria that for some inexplicable reason was not serving pizza - whatever. My wine and starter were out of this world - in fact, if we are Facebook friend you already know I had prosciutto just about every day! but OMG IT'S SO GOOOD! what do they feed their livestock around here? Amazing. My pasta was crap, I had a few bites and left the rest behind. 




It was around 5PM by the time we were done, and we weren't that tired yet so we just walked around town some more with no fixed destination in mind.




.... and then spotted a place that served Aperol Spritz in the "correct" glass! It was perfect.


Frank had a beer, and the lack of sleep caught up with him in spades! He actually feel asleep at the table; poor guy. It was around 7PM by the time we were done - so it was a good time to call it quits and head back to the hotel.

Off to a great start!

No comments:

Post a Comment